Friday, February 17, 2012

sparks

"I've found that one of the greatest joys is to bring 
a smile into someone's day, someone's life
Oh, my God, you are so good.
I see you in people's faces all around me.
The beautiful and expansive rainbow
And just when I thought I'd seen it all
Along comes another shade, another hue
you are part of that hue and shade."

Again today, I'm seeing patterns in my life. Around this time last year I met my friend Paul at the shop around the corner in Vienna, and that friendship was one of utter inspiration and encouragement to me. A few weeks ago I was introduced to a man named Leon, the father of a girl who goes to Wellesley that I have always known, but of whom I have never been an intimate friend. My friend Grace was the link to all four of us, and I was invited to Sunday supper at their house, after visiting their church in Cambridge. We played music together and ate delicious food, and I felt amazing warmth and encouragement with this family, and especially from Leon. He and Grace write a lot and discuss many topics, and I have now become a part of this discussion. The quote above is from his most recent letter to me, and I am overcome by that subliminal moment of utter resonation.

Everything these days comes to me in metaphors of music---not only do his words resonate within my mind and heart, but it also feels like a sudden coming together. It is as though we have been straining away on separate parts of di Lasso polyphony and then suddenly the moment of final resolution comes, seemingly out of the blue and you are left in awe of how two parts could converge so naturally that you didn't even see that moment coming. Yesterday a famous Wellesley grad, Wendy Gillespie, visited the campus prior to being honored at the Alumnae Achievement Awards Ceremony, and she played a short concert for the music department. She and a colleague played two very short viola da gamba duets by Orlando di Lasso on combinations of treble, tenor, and bass gambas. I have sung di Lasso polyphony, so it was enriching to hear similar lines and journeys set for instruments. The relationship of the two parts is astounding; they are each leading a separate pathway, but the moments of intersection and resolution, while brief, are shockingly natural. They do not sound planned or prepared, it is as if each part spontaneously decides to bend their route, and they happen to cross each other on the sidewalk and exchange a smile.

One moment that keeps coming to mind is the welcome speech that Kim Bottomly, president of Wellesley College (aka Kbots) gave on my first day of freshman orientation, August 2008. She brought up one of the favorite passages on campus which leads up to Green Hall. It is the renowned "Platform 9 3/4" because you enter at the bottom, twist up two narrow staircases, and appear magically on the road above. President Bottomly spoke about how you never can be certain whether someone is on the other part of the staircase when you enter this passageway, so sometimes you end up funnily squeezing by someone and are forced into interaction with that person, whom you may never have met otherwise. She said that the college experience is all about these awkward and funny chance encounters with people, and how these tiny encounters can be some of the most important ones of your life.

Truth be told, I've never been the hugest fan of Kbots. Her speeches most of the time come out kind of flat and lame and in person she's kind of fakey and disengaged. But, I will probably never forget that first speech, and I'm glad for it. My Wellesley experience both on and off campus has definitely rung true of her description. She urged us to embrace those moments and to be open to other people, and I can say that the times I have followed that advice have brought some of the dearest people into my life.

This really is one of the favorite ways in which I experience my God as the God of perfect timing. He subtly sneaks people into our life when we least expect it. May we be on guard to embrace each moment before it flashes by.

-lab

1 comment: