Friday, July 13, 2012

Proverbs

I've put a new Bible verse in my little yellow book, and it's from an e-mail my mom sent me earlier today.

"Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a fatted ox and hatred with it."  Proverbs 15:17

It has been an awesome week at work, more than a month now on the job. I finally know enough to start working on all of my own projects, so I'm very, very happy. We also helped out a friend of mine by volunteering last minute to host two British girls for the last few days. The Selwyn College Choir from Cambridge University in England is on their first ever US tour, starting in Boston and travelling to New Haven, Philadelphia, New York, and D.C. My brother, grandmother, and I worked together to make our guests, May and Jo, feel welcome and at home. That meant good food, relaxation, music-making  and of course, a trip to Kimball Farm for enormous sundaes. 

In light of the wonderful experiences I've been having this week, there have been some very serious things on my mind as well. Earlier this week I had what must be my first conflict with a friend in over 4 years (they tend to happen about every 4-5 years with me), and it has left me shocked, hurt, and a bit bewildered. 

The situation is so difficult, painful, and complicated, that I feel like there is nothing I really can do to change it right now in any sort of positive way. Walking away, for me, is usually not the solution. 

But in this case, I think that's what needs to be done. At least for a while. The verse from Proverbs struck me because I'm not the kind of person who walks away from people in my life (ever), and I also am always more comfortable with putting myself in a dangerous position, because I trust that I have a thick skin. Thinking about what could happen if I were to place myself in the line of fire this time, I know that it would be unnecessary abuse. My friend has made it clear that her idea of a "conversation" is to have me listen to everything she has to say, but I don't think she intends to listen to me.

For now, I will stick to my herbs. Especially since those with love are finally getting back from being away all week.

love,
LB

No comments:

Post a Comment