Thursday, May 24, 2012

ein moment

a moment--

is exactly what i haven't had to sit down and write in 2 weeks.

but it's exactly what the last two weeks have been; a thousandmillionzillion moments blending and blurring one into the next, more beautiful that the last. How have I celebrated my birthday, finished exams, planted trees, seen old friends after months, flown to Berlin and back, danced so hard my feet bled and bruised, and gave a final solo performance in the chapel all in the last two weeks?

No wonder I feel a bit, well, overwhelmed by the amount of events clogging my mind for re-hash, re-visiting, and my favorite German word, nachdenken. It literally means "after-thinking", so to think back, reflect.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I gave a final second round interview for a job I would be happy to tears to be offered, and am still waiting to hear back about another job possibility as well. And, tomorrow the  Red Class of 2012 graduates.

How does all of this happen?

I noticed last night, while at the Colonnade Hotel in Boston for the Senior Gala, that I've subconsciously devised a tactic for dealing with the fact that I haven't had time to write or be still much in the last few weeks. The room was full of friends and loved ones dancing and enjoying themselves, and every so often I would just sit and watch and smile. This happened earlier, at dinner too. These little tiny moments of pulling myself out of the picture and just enjoying the contentment of seeing everyone I love being truly themselves (aka Mika dancing crazy, Hilary being a total weirdo, and Joho a glamor queen). Maybe this sounds silly, but I found myself picturing exactly what each of our wedding receptions would be like someday, full of people we love and moments we're savoring, and with everyone being fully themselves.

Fully enjoying just---being together.

That, for me, is really what I'm sad about, as far as graduation goes. Get me the hell out of the dorm, away from dorm food, and into a place of my own. I'm ready. But I'm going to miss this community like nothing else. Having everything and everyone I need just a few doors away or up a floor or two. That will never happen again.

In June, I'll have plenty of time at the lake in Michigan to write and write and write until I use up all of the pens in the house. Until then, let the fun, excitement, dancing, picture-taking, and time with family and friends continue.

Here's to us, the Red Class!

-LB

No comments:

Post a Comment